- Denise L. Baer. Forthcoming. Delivering Measurable Performance: Performance Evaluation Methods, Strategies and Tools for Policymaking and Public Management. Under contract with SAGE Press (Thousand Oaks, CA). Anticipated publication in 2014. Baer.PEMST.Book.Ms.Overview.Forthcoming.2014
- Shari Bryan and Denise L. Baer. 2005. Money in Politics: A Study of Party Practices in 22 Countries. Washington, D.C.: National Democratic Institute for International Affairs. Money in Politics
- Denise L. Baer and David A. Bositis. 1993. Politics and Linkage in a Democratic Society. (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall). 241 Pp. [Book is reviewed in Party Politics (1995) 1:431-32.]
- Denise L. Baer and David A. Bositis. 1988. Elite Cadres and Party Coalitions: Representing the Public in Party Politics. (Westport, CT: Greenwood). 264 Pp. Book is reviewed in Journal of Politics (1990) 52:317-21, and American Political Science Review (1990) 84:1007-08.
- Denise L. Baer and Julie Dolan. 1994. “Intimate Connections: Political Interests and Group Activity in State and Local Parties.” American Review of Politics 15: 257-89.
- Denise L. Baer.1993. “Who Has the Body? Party Institutionalization and Theories Of Party Organization” American Review of Politics 14: 1-32.
- Denise L. Baer. 1993. “Political Parties: The Missing Variable in Women and Politics Research.” Political Research Quarterly 46: 547-576. Political.Parties.Missing.Variable
- Denise L. Baer and John S. Jackson, III. 1985. “Are Women Really More ‘Amateur’ in Politics Than Men?” Women and Politics 5: 79-92.
- David A. Bositis, Denise L. Baer and Roy E. Miller. 1985. “Cognitive Information Levels, Voter Preferences and Local Partisan Activity: A Field Experimental Study on the Effects of Timing and Order of Message Presentation.” Political Behavior 7: 266-285.
- Denise L. Baer. 1983. “Biology, Gender and Politics: An Assessment and Critique.” Women and Politics 3: 29-66.
- Denise L. Baer and David A. Bositis. 1983. “The Political Socialization of Gender: What Contribution Biology?” Politics and the Life Sciences 1: 125-134.
- Denise L. Baer and David A. Bositis. 1983. “Author’s Response.” Politics and The Life Sciences 1: 140-42.
- Denise L. Baer, David A. Bositis, and Roy E. Miller. 1981. “A Field Experimental Study of a Precinct Committeeman’s Canvassing Efforts in a Primary Election: Cognitive Effects.” In M. Burgoon (Ed.). Communication Yearbook V. New Brunswick, Transaction Books, 1981.
- Roy E. Miller, David A. Bositis, and Denise L. Baer. 1981. “Stimulating Voter Turnout in a Primary Election: A Field Experiment with a Precinct Committeeman.” International Political Science Review 2: 445-460.
- Denise L. Baer. 2013. “Women Joining the Arena in American Politics: Lessons Learned on the Relative Impact of Mobilization and Recruitment vs. Electoral Engineering.” In Judit Tanczos, Ed., Woman UP! Political, Business and Academic Perspectives on Women’s Representation – A Transatlantic Dialogue. Brussels, Belgium: Foundation for European Progressive Studies. Pp. 52-73. Baer.Women.Joining.the.Arena.FEPS.2013
- Denise L. Baer. 2012. “Welcome to the Party?” In Melody Rose, Ed., Women in the Executive Branch(es). Lynne Rienner Publishers. Pp. 181-207.
- Denise L. Baer. 2010. “The New Gendered Partisan Divide and Representation of Women and Women’s Organizations,” in Lois Duke Whittier, Ed., Women in Politics: Outsiders or Insiders. 5th Edition, Prentice Hall.
- Denise L. Baer. 2005. “What Kind of Women’s Movement? Community, Representation and Resurgence,” in Lois Duke Whittier, Ed., Women in Politics: Outsiders or Insiders. 4th Edition, Prentice Hall)
- Denise L. Baer. 2003. “Women, Women’s Organizations, and Political Parties: Old Questions and New Directions,” In Susan A. Carroll, Ed., Women and American Politics: Agenda Setting for the 21st Century (Oxford University Press).
- Denise L. Baer. 1999. “The Political Interests of Women: Movement Politics, Political Reform and Women’s Organizations.” In Lois Duke Whitaker, Women in Politics: Outsiders or Insiders? 3rd Ed. Prentice.
- Denise L. Baer. 1995 “Message, Theme and Strategy.” In James L. Thurber and Candice J. Nelson (Eds.) Campaigns and Elections. Boulder: Westview Press.
- Denise L. Baer. 1984. “Biology, Gender and Politics: An Assessment and Critique.” M.W. Watts (Ed.) Biopolitics and Gender. New York: Haworth, 1984.
- Denise L. Baer and Martha Bailey. 1994. “The Nationalization of Education Politics: National Education Association PAC (NEA-PAC) and the 1992 Elections” In Robert Biersak, Paul S. Herrnson, and Clyde Wilcox (Eds.), Risky Business. New York: M.E.Sharp.
- Denise L. Baer and Heidi Hartmann. 2013. Building Women’s Political Careers: Strengthening the Pipeline to Higher Office: Final Report of the Achieving Parity Project Conducted for the Hunt Alternatives Fund. Washington, D.C.: IWPR. Baer.Hartmann.Achieving.Parity.Building.Womens.Careers.Final.Report.IWPR.2013
- Denise L. Baer. 2013. Achieving Parity Research Protocols. Used in the Achieving Parity Project Conducted for the Hunt Alternatives Fund. Bethesda, MD: SRC. Achieving.Parity.Project.Protocols.2013
- Denise L. Baer, Jane Henrici, Layla Moughari and Barbara Gault. 2012. Using Research on the Status of Women to Improve Public Policies in the Middle East and North Africa: A Capacity-Building Toolkit for Nongovernmental Organizations. A monograph written for the Status of Women in the Middle East and North Africa (SWMENA) Joint Project of the Institute for Women’s Policy Research and the International Federation of Electoral Systems. Research.Status.Women.Middle.East.Africa.Toolkit.2012
- Denise L. Baer. 2012. Party Policy Development in the United States. A monograph written for the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs. August, 2012. Baer.Party.Policy.Development.in.the.U.S.NDI.2012
- Denise L. Baer. 2010. A Portrait of the Voices of Girls in the Washington, DC, Metropolitan Area. A monograph written for the Girl Scout Council of the Nation’s Capitol for the Portrait Project sponsored by the Washington Area Women’s Foundation. Portrait.Voices.of.Girls.GSCNC.2010
- Denise L. Baer. 2005. Parties and Change: A Literature Review on Causal Factors Which Strengthen Democratic Party Outcomes. A Report for the United States Agency for International Development Office of Governance and Democracy. 260 pages.
- Denise L. Baer. 2003. “Performance Measurement Helps Build Results-Driven Programs.” Community Prevention Title V Update. Volume 3, No. 1 2003.
- Denise L. Baer. 2002. Assessing Evolving Issues in Criminal Justice Agencies: Prepared for the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Denise L. Baer. 1996. The House Democratic Caucus: Two Hundred Years of Leadership in the People’s House. A History and Strategic Analysis. A History and Internal Report Prepared for the U.S. House of Representatives Democratic Caucus, The Honorable Vic Fazio, Chair. (April)
- Denise L. Baer. 1996. Race and the Gender Gap: Issues and Impact in Election ‘96. 1996. A Report Prepared for the National Political Congress of Black Women and Released at a Press Conference in the Rayburn House Office Building. (November 21)
- Denise L. Baer. 1996. The Gender Gap and the 1996 Democratic and Republican Conventions. 1996. A Strategic Research Concepts Report Released August 25, 1996, at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois.
RECENT CONFERENCE PAPERS:
- Denise L. Baer. 2013. “Performance Evaluation as a Distinct Hybrid Form of Research Methods,” a paper presented at the 2013 American Evaluation Association Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, October 14-19, 2013. Performance.Evaluation.as.Research.Method.AEA.2013
- Denise L. Baer and John S. Jackson. ”American Political Development and the Advent of Genuine Intermediary Factions Within Contemporary Democratic and Republican Parties” (a paper presented at the 2009 Midwest Political Science Association Annual meeting; April, 2009, Chicago, Illinois) Baer.Jackson.Amer.Political.Development.Political.Parties.MWPSA.2009